Monday, January 17, 2011

Sinus Issues Continue

As mentioned in an earlier post, I've been having issues with breathing and sinus infections. Got in to see my ENT doctor, and they did a CT scan to see what's going on with my sinuses. As it turns out my septum is pretty badly deviated. It was quite bent to the right, which explains why that nostril is pretty much closed off much of the time now. Additionally, there is a bone spur jutting from the septum to the right. With all the tissue around this stuff, it's no surprise that any allergic response or cold or anything that inflames those tissues leads to my nostrils closing up.

The doctor explained the surgery to me, and I think it's a better option than just taking allergy shots or nasal sprays for the rest of my life. Of course, this will be the first operation I've ever had. I'll be put under and everything. Luckily, it's outpatient and the recovery time isn't long. Will definitely be off work for a few days though. In the meantime, I'll just have to make it until mid-February.

Given that this is going to be settled imminently, I'm trying to gear up to get back to hapkido. It's tough because there are definitely days when I know that my nose is too closed for it to make any sense to go. Hopefully, this will all be over soon. I'm really looking forward to being able to breathe like a normal person!

No comments: