Saturday, June 20, 2009

Another goal?

I should be a bit careful what I write about on here after experiencing the power of writing about martial arts and then feeling impelled to go do it all the more! But...I've been toying with the idea of going back to school yet again!

I got my BA in Marketing from NIU, then later on thought about an MBA for a week before I came to my senses. Then I actually started on a Masters in IS at DePaul, but realized it wasn't at all a fit for me (although I did quite well). Finally, Jim and I both decided to get Masters in Liberal Studies at North Central College right here in Naperville. It was fun because we got to share the experience, and I got to take all sorts of cool classes: writing, history of science, globalization, literature, public discourse, leadership, etc. We had to do a thesis to graduate, and I did mine on the theoretical underpinnings of astrobiology. It was terrific, and the two years went by very quickly!

I had skipped my high school graduation because...well...who cares about graduating from high school? I skipped my NIU graduation because I just wanted to move into the city and get started with my life. But I went to my Masters graduation! Jim and I both went. I invited my family, had a big party, made a major deal out of it. This was my first degree I got solely because I wanted it. It was tough, and I was proud of it.

So, anyway, I was thinking that I've always loved literature and have taken loads of classes in it. I'm always reading (note the posts on Melville!). If I'm reading this kind of stuff in my spare time, why not do it as part of getting a Masters in Literature (or something)? I have no idea what I would do with such a degree but, well, why is it that I have to do something with it? Why can't getting a Masters in Literature be an end in itself? Something to enjoy and a goal to attain?

I need to think more about this.......

No comments: