Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Back to Hapkido?......No

This was a tough decision. I'd made a lot of progress in hapkido, and I really enjoyed it. Plus, the fitness benefits were terrific. However, between going back to the gym and cycling weather upon us, it seemed like it would be too much of one thing to continue with martial arts too.

I've mentioned on this blog several times that I've been really focused on athletic stuff for a long time, and I guess it's time to make some conscious decisions to set aside time for other interests (like painting, writing, more time for meditation, hanging out with friends, reading, etc.).

I'm going to keep practicing my forms and kicks and punches as part of my routine at the gym. So while I may not be continuing with martial arts (right now), if I can keep the skills I have sharp then nothing has been lost at all.  Taking hapkido was a wonderful experience and I do miss it, but I know this is the right choice. I just don't feel it's very balanced to be so invested in fitness to the exclusion of other aspects of my life. So, instead of continuing to wring my hands about it, it's time to do something about it. Done.

No comments: