Sunday, January 10, 2010

Guitar Hero? (Not)

Last night we celebrated a late Christmas with our close friends. Larry and Kelly are married and they and Jim have known each other since high school. They have two kids: Miranda and Lia who Jim is godfather to and who refer to us as Uncle Jim and Uncle Pete. As usual, we had a great time. Also, as usual lately, our visits have been partly spent trying out all sorts of Wii games. I really enjoy the Wii!


This time is was Guitar Hero. I did pretty good on the drums (90% on my first go), was absolutely useless on the guitar, but it was my stint as lead singer that is destined to go down in lore as a viral video worthy moment of embarassment. First of all, I cannot sing. At all. I'm not being coy or modest. I have taken lessons, and I cannot do anything but hit one note that's always flat. I am the anti-Susan Boyle.


The song selected for my vocal debut was "Maps" by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I'd heard the song once years ago, disliked it, and never thought about it again. The lyrics to the song are a little...odd. It starts off...

Pack up
I’m straight
Enough
Oh say, say, say
Oh say, say, say
Oh say, say, say
Oh say, say, say
Wait, they don’t love you like I love you
Wait, they don’t love you like I love you
Ma-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-aps
Wait! They don’t love you like I love you......


I obviously just didn't get it...and I was stone cold sober (really). When I got the alert Kelly had posted a clip of my performance to Facebook, I have to admit I was pretty scared. I knew it was going to be bad. But would it be funny-bad or I-need-to-move-to-another-country-bad? I think it's very funny-bad, so I'm trying to post it for posterity. Kelly thinks it has viral potential.

No comments: