Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Jakob Lindberg - Weiss Lute Music

I like all kinds of music. Everything from rap to classical, bluegrass to IDM, lounge to black metal. However, when I play piano, I only choose classical music. This preference led me to slowly explore classical music. While I could definitely use a music appreciation course to better understand periods and composers, I find myself drawn to music with interesting instrumentation as opposed to standard major composers. Anyway, I thought I would share some of the classical music I've been listening to.

Jakob Lindberg is a lutenist and, on this recording, he performs lute sonatas written by Silvius Leopold Weiss (1687-1750). I became interested in the sound of lute music after hearing one played several years ago. The difference between the sound of a lute and of a guitar (for me) is akin to the difference between a harpsichord and piano. There's a mellower sound that evokes in my mind images of the Renaissance, knights on horseback, and courtly life. I also like the sense of solo musicianship the lute conjures up. It's akin to how I feel when I play piano; it's something that's all mine and I can play and express the music as I wish. There is pleasure in playing and listening at the same time.

What's interesting about this recording is that Lindberg plays these early 18th Century sonatas on a lute that was likely made no later than 1560! This fascinated me. Music hundreds of years old being played by a master on an antique lute! Who doesn't want to own that? This CD is beautiful to listen to, either just lying back and letting it wash over me or during a warm evening with the windows open, a light breeze coming in, a glass of wine, kitty in my lap, and a good hardcover book.

No comments: