Saturday, July 28, 2012

It Gets Better

The end of this month is the first anniversary of our civil union ceremony. Prior to that we had celebrated our anniversary at the end of August to commemorate the day we met. Last week, I asked Jim which day was our anniversary now? We decided that - while we're happy to finally have the same rights as everyone else - the fact is that the civil union formalized something that had already existed for 15 years. Our anniversary remains the day we have always celebrated it and we plan to celebrate 16 wonderful years together at that time.

Of course...that doesn't mean we can't celebrate twice!

Since I never did post more pictures from the civil union, I thought I'd do so now. As I was choosing these pictures, I found myself thinking about some of the really huge strides that have been made even in the year since we had this ceremony. I have to admit I never thought I'd see such progress in my lifetime. So I have to say how grateful I am to the 'soldiers': the people who risked and dared and stood up for justice and gave our community a voice over the years. These pictures and joy would not exist without them. So thank you! In a small way we gave back with this ceremony, as instead of gifts we asked guests to donate to It Gets Better.

And for any young people out there who are struggling with prejudice and ignorance. It gets better!
Forget flower girls. We had the Bubble Girlz!
Those who stood up for us danced down the aisle to Lady Gaga's "Born This Way"

Here come the grooms!

When the ceremony began, I admit I was blown away at what was happening!


 




And while cake is always good...

...the best part was having our friends and family there!






It gets better!

No comments: