Friday, February 4, 2011

Blizzard 2011

In Illinois, we get alot of hysterical warnings about 'dangerous storms' and 'big snows' that turn out to be overreactions. So when I heard the claims that we would get 1.5 feet in a blizzard with 60 mile per hour gusting winds, I just laughed it off. "I'll believe it when I see it!"

Well, this is one prediction that came true! The drifts were something like 2-3 feet deep, with the biggest ones going way above that. Jim and I joined forces to dig ourselves out, and the court wasn't plowed until late that night so we were really snowed in. Jim took the snowblower and I used a shovel. Best work-out I've had in weeks.

Here's a pic of me standing in the snow (and my feet aren't even on the ground!). I'm standing on the front walk, so yes we had to clear all that snow away. Definitely a lot of work.

It reminded me of the winter of 1977 when we had tons and tons of snow and poor Mayor Bilandic in Chicago later lost reelection because people were pissed about the snow. We'd walk to school on the 4-5 foot high snow drifts along the sides of the streets, like mountain goats in the Himalayas. It was so much fun!

No comments: