Monday, March 21, 2011

Baby Steps

Okay, maybe I'm not this bad off, but I sure feel like I'm starting from scratch. Started practicing forms again to get back in the saddle, and I got winded rather quickly. Not from lack of air, but from sheer lack of fitness. I also did some push-ups, crunches, and curls.

It's pretty clear to me that I'm starting back into this from a really low place. I can't remember the last time I was this out of shape, and it's clearly going to take a lot of time and effort to even get back to where I was. Jim keeps assuring me I've just lost tone and that I'm not flabby. However, I feel very out of shape. It bums me out big time, but I keep reminding myself that the surgery will have been worth it in the long term.

I went to check out the gym where I work, but there was no one at the front desk. Arrrggh! This what I remember gyms to be like. Impersonal, with marginally intelligent employees whose main qualification is the ability to look good in a pink spandex bra. Okay, I'm being bitter. Just shut up and go back tomorrow.

I've got to do this. I can't go back to martial arts class until I get my cardio fitness back, and I shudder to think what our first bike ride will be like if I don't get active soon. I should probably also stop in to see the master and let him know I haven't fallen off the face of the earth.  Getting back into this is so difficult. Inertia is tough to escape from, but I know I'll feel so much better once I get back on track. Gotta keep my head up and just do it!

No comments: