Monday, March 14, 2011

Unfrozen (for real) And A Challenge To Myself

The snowdrops opened during the weekend...that means Spring is coming!

I'd written my prior 'Unfrozen' entry just after being promoted but before my sinus surgery, so I didn't realize that I was still going to be a bit frozen. However, breathing has become much easier now. Tomorrow is my second post-op visit with the doctor and, since I can fly (and will be flying soon for business), I'm betting I'll be cleared to start back with the athletic stuff again.

Since I know I'm sticking around at work, that means I will check out and (hopefully) join the gym in my building. They have a pool, track, and of course weight machines. Joining a gym for the first time in nearly twenty years should really help me take my lifting to a higher level. Plus I'll be able to get back into shape from a cardiovascular standpoint. Maybe I can even start biking to work during the good weather because I can shower before going to the office.  I can practice martial arts at home to get limbered up before going back to class and picking up where I left off. 

All of this made me think the other day that - if I do all this stuff - I should set a goal for myself of not only getting back into shape (I've lost plenty of muscle and flexibility and have a bit of a belly) but getting into the best shape of my life. If I can get the cardiovascular stuff down, as well as lifting, martial arts, and biking...I should be able to make myself into a lean, mean, fighting machine!

Once before, airing on goal on this blog led to me actually achieving something pretty significant. I hope it spurs me to succeed again!

No comments: