Sunday, July 19, 2009

Peteradio

On my iPod, I have a playlist called 'Peteradio' that I limit to 50 songs. As I get new songs, I pull them in - along with a song or two from each new album I buy - and move out the older stuff. To keep the listening interesting and somewhat smooth, I rarely include classical, jazz, US pop music, rock, or any rootsy stuff and keep it to trip hop, afro pop, chill, trance, ambient, pop from overseas, hip hop (not rap), deep house, brazilian, IDM, etc. This gives me a nice long mix to listen to, and it never gets stale. Here's some of what's currently on Peteradio:

Always - Gabrielle -Awesome pop song. She's been huge in the UK for a decade.
Indian Fever - David Starfire
Borderline (radio edit) - Michael Gray f/ Shelly Poole
Divine Idylle - Vanessa Paradis - Johnny Depp's babymama makes great music in France.
The Fear (StoneBridge radio edit) - Lily Allen - Great critique of the darker side of US culture.
Illuminate - Latrice - Top notch deep house track.
Manifesto - Vanessa Daou - Smoky, sexy, with a trunk throbbing hip hop beat.
I Was Made For Lovin' You - Kate The Cat - Lounge, lounge, lounge. A cover of a Kiss song.
Manifold (morning edit) - Aes Dana
Stars - Erika Jayne
Justify - ATB
Beija A Mim (Saudade) - Zuco 103 - Fun-kaaaayyy!
Me Cai - Pacifika
Love's The Only Drug - Ultra Nate - She's been the queen of house for a decade at least.
Take Off The Blues - The Foreign Exchange
Entoto Dub - Dub Colossus - Cultural mish-mashing at it's best: dub reggae, chill, and Ethiopian music.
Pretty Wings - Maxwell - He's back!
Indigo (Androcell remix) - Tripswitch
After Party - Ozomatli - Mostly sung in Spanish, but the party vibe transcends language.
Give The Drummer Some - Nickodemus - Interesting artist from Soul Seduction.
Sirens - Carmen Rizzo f/ Kate Havnevik
Mirror - Supreme Beings Of Leisure - Slammin' trip-hop cultural commentary.
I've Given Enough - Blue Six - Ultra-sexy sax, Aya on vocals, and from the Naked Music label.
Ishq - Niyaz - Sensual groove and Azam Ali singing 18th Century Urdu poetry. Wicked!
Vampires - Thievery Corporation - From Radio Retaliation. See my review here in the blog.
Fire On The Mountain - Asa - French/Nigerian artist on a great protest song.
Azul - Bebel Gilberto - If you can't chill to this Brazilian import, then you just plain suck.
Long Life - Dela f/ Talib Kweli - Real hip-hop, not fake-ass bubblegum shit like T.I. and Cam'ron. And you have to get it from a French producer. Sad comment on US music right there.
Mind Wall - Towa Tei f/ Miho Hatori - This Japanese/Korean DJ always twists my ear. I love him!
NYC - Kasema Kalifah Caines - Spoken word to a nasty-dirty beat.
Right Now - Samantha James - Smooooooth! From the deep house diva on the OM label.
Change - Joy Denalane f/ Lupe Fiasco - Soulful R&B from a German/South African artist.
Night Train - Timewriter - Renowned German deep house producer on the Plastic City label.

2 comments:

Pauldo said...

Aes Dana and Androcell? How did you find them? We've had them out to Chilluminati events before. Androcell one of my favorites. Look up Bluetech.

Pete Cholewinski said...

I first heard of Androcell from you, because you gave me a CD of him (and Bluetech). Although I have been unable to download them to my iPod.

I found Indigo and Aes Dana while linking from one artist to the next on iTunes. Amazing all the great stuff you just end up bumping into. And I love it when there's no reviews, so you know that you've 'found' something!