Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Thomas Cleary - Zen Essence

The most useful book on Zen I have found is, so far, this book of Zen sayings. Compiled and translated by Thomas Cleary, who apparently has spent many years translating a great deal of Eastern thought into English, Zen Essence is a terrific book. I don't think you need to know much about Zen to find this book useful as an introduction yet, at the same time, the more you do know the more you will be able to get out of the book.

What I especially value about Zen Essence is that the sayings are pulled from ancient Zen Masters only. I usually prefer material like this, rather than material created by contemporary 'Zen masters'. Too many contemporary writers come across like New Age gas bags rather than actual practitioners of Zen. Plus, I think there's more validity in getting as close to the source as I can, rather than reading someone's interpretation of someone's interpretation of what someone else wrote.

Many times, before I meditate, I read one of the sayings in this book. While I'm calming my mind, I don't actively think about the saying. However, once I'm all quieted down I find that the saying resonates a bit in my mind and my awareness of its meanings seems to just come naturally. I've had some real epiphanies while meditating in this way and, of course, I keep track of all this in a journal dedicated solely to Zen.

Perhaps, in addition to the Emerson nuggets I'm sharing, from time to time I'll pull some of these thoughts into the blog. My only fear is that what I learn through Zen is usually pretty personal or, more accurately, is most relevant to myself. So it may not be at all useful to anyone else. That's why I usually keep it to myself, not to mention that makes it more likely I'll actually apply what I've learned and profit from it. I've found that people who preach about other people's failings tend to spend a lot less time acknowledging their own or doing anything about them. Plus, if I went around spewing what I've gained from Zen, I have no doubt my friends would find me insufferable pretty quickly!

No comments: