Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Siegecraft

poem 4 from The Ancient Elm

Outcast of the Untamed Wood,
I shine myself.
But willed or unwilled
such light draws eyes:
illuminating some,
blinding others.

For to be
is to sharpen the sword,
don battle armor,
and light the bonfire
enemies and allies
array themselves around.

The Castle Keepers
hear of me from oracles
of entrail and ash.
They contrive war -
the Wizard of the Ancient Elm
in their eyes a Knight of Swords.

Powerful in my mythology,
armored of myself,
outside of illusion,
my gaze blasts their walls,
shatters every gate,
scatters them before me.

Invincible Wizard-Knight,
I gallop into the Castle
to the people's adulation.
My banners flying proud,
trumpets, streamers, and flowers
bless my armor.

For the art of siegecraft
is to be...
and watch the world
wrap around you,
turning
wand to sword to scepter.

In this poem, I wanted to explore the idea that finding your true essence and 'shining' that can lead to you creating friends and enemies, because some people will like or dislike what you are. Some even see you as a threat (seeing the Wizard as a Knight of Swords). However, I've found that so long as you remain true to your essence discovered while meditating that you ultimately prevail. It doesn't mean that you win every battle, but that you ultimately find a place of peace and happiness. This is why I characterize the Wizard-Knight as invincible; it's possible to deter a person who has been enlightened but you cannot stop them in the long run. I also feel that when you are freed of illusion, there is a confidence that you exude that people are drawn to. So the speaker in the poem lays siege to the Castle merely by being and is embraced by the people he once ran from. Also, when you are enlightened, you are in control of yourself and your life, so the 'world wraps around you' (rather than you conforming to cope with the world). This turns the power of enlightenment and truth (the wand) to power (the sword) and ultimately to control over your own destiny (the scepter). At base, this is the idea that you do not need to contend or fight or strain overtly to prevail. You simply have to be and hold to that. All else follows.

No comments: