Monday, April 11, 2011

National Poetry Month: Flowing Inside The Lines

One of my friends on Facebook reminded me April has been designated as National Poetry Month, so since my writing has been rather limited lately (mainly to the haiku I've been posting), I'm going to raid my vaults and post some of poetry from the past during the month. This first posting is from four or five years ago. If I recall correctly, I wrote it just before "The Ancient Elm" cycle blew up (you can link to the cycle in the 'Topics' section at the left of the blog). This poem is one of the seeds that kind of got that whole cycle thing going.


Flowing Inside The Lines

No lines!
No lines!
Do not buy a journal with lines!
Regimented
My flow gets regimented
Chastised before born
The teacher demanding
I color INSIDE THE LINES!
Structuring my mind
to see lines
to see limits
to see
inside
          outside
here
          there
us
          them
categorizing with right and wrong
I spend the rest of my life
trying to free my mind,
turning rainbows
back into pure light
rolling stone tablets
back up the mount
(thanks but no thanks)
I do not need lines
I do not need lines
when
if I let myself
I can have…
              
                      SPACE

No comments: