Monday, May 3, 2010

Bibliophilia

I've always loved reading, and over the last ten years or so I have enjoyed finding nice hardcover versions of my favorite books. I'd also begun looking through the nicer used book stores for interesting and unique editions. For example, I bought an old hardcover version of Irving Stone's The Agony And The Ecstasy that has a slipcase and, in the book itself, plates of Michelangelo's artwork relevant to the story. I love finding these kinds of loving treatments of a great book.

Of course I'm no collector, as in knowing too much about how to spot a 'find'. I don't know what 'foxing' is, and I'm not sure what to look for beyond what interests me personally and the publication date.  But I've purchased some old hardcover editions I like: a hardcover of Pan Michal, a book of poems by William Cullen Bryant printed in the 1800s, and - just recently - a boxed set containing the first three Horatio Hornblower novels. This hardcover set was printed, I believe, within two years of the first editions, with a slipcase and frontpiece illustrations by N.C. Wyeth. Seemed like a nice purchase, and it only set me back $31 on eBay.

As time has gone on, I have become more interested in possibly becoming a more educated book collector. Maybe this casual interest will lead to something later in life?

No comments: