Sunday, May 16, 2010

Conversation

This past Friday one of my very best friends, Paul, and I went out to dinner. Paul and I were partnered for about two years back when we were in our early/mid twenties. He was a straight-laced recovering Catholic and I was a street urchin poet and newly born professional.  We broke up over the movie Schindler's List (not related to the subject matter of the movie, because I have never seen it), which is another story altogether!  We continued as friends and roommates for another couple years, and then as friends ever since. So he knows me really, REALLY well (and vice versa).

One of the best things about Paul is that I can always have a great conversation with him. We caught up what is going on in our lives, of course, doing that meant we quickly veered into the world of ideas: literature, politics, movies, ideas we've read about that we thought the other might find interesting, etc. Conversations like this recharge my batteries in so many ways! So much of our day-to-day life is mundane and usual, which is inescapable I suppose, so it's great to be able to flex my brain a bit every now and then and talk about things that matter and make inside jokes with someone (cats do have feelings!).

Paul and I have both changed and grown in so many ways since we met way back when, and it's been a wonderful ride so far.  We've taught each other so much and, I think, have really influenced each other in many ways.  Love ya, Paulie!

No comments: