Saturday, May 8, 2010

ssssSLAMed!

Back onto a regular hapkido schedule. There's a 4:30 class that I can make if I get into work early enough to leave at 4. It's much better going directly after work, and I can be sure I have had enough food at lunch to keep my energy up. The downside is the earlier class has a higher proportion of kids, which makes the dynamic a little less serious. However, the instructor is very good, and she gets guidance from the Master before each class.  I've been learning a lot of new stuff: forms, punches, escapes. Very fun and very demanding!

In an earlier post, I described how we learn to fall or be thrown when someone is practicing throws on us. It's important to 'fall right' so that being thrown doesn't hurt you, and that also is a good skill for an actual fight because being thrown can totally knock the wind and the fight out of you. Naturally, 'falling right' requires being focused and paying attention to what you and your partner are doing.

I was practicing throws with a black belt and, for some reason, I wasn't quite as focused as I should have been. In addition, the black belt was a little more 'enthusiastic' with this particular throw than usual. Bad combination. He threw me hard, and I wasn't in control of my fall at all. I went over his shoulder and slammed onto the mat on my shoulder and neck and back.  I could hear the Master run over and scold the black belt: "Gentle! Gentle!" I, of course, didn't betray anything. I got right up onto my feet again to show I was ready for more. The black belt was totally apologetic, but I knew it was partially my own fault.

I paid the price over the next few days. My neck was so stiff and it felt like there were a thousand tiny knots tied in the fibers of my back muscles. It ached bad! Hopefully, it's a lesson learned and I'll never make that mistake again!

No comments: